Monday, March 23, 2009

Kids Corner - flea market style

So I'm always looking for creative ways to contain the kid clutter. Throwing toys out or giving them away would be one option, although my kids would totally disagree. So, we have to work with it. I fashioned this kid corner into my family room using some pieces I already had. Nothing was bought specifically for this purpose.

When we rearranged our family and dining rooms {read about it here} our family room lost our seating area and gained a casual table and chairs, formerly in our dining room. This sort of pushed the "kid-centricness" of the room aside. Determined to give them a place to play near the kitchen, I took the coffee table from the former seating area and stuck a junky little bookshelf I had painted black and distressed on top of it. This way their books are up at their height and they're not tempted to empty it all out onto the floor. Now they also have a place to play and draw and eat, but it's still compact.


By the way, this coffee table was a $19 Salvation Army find which I sanded down and painted cottage white and then distressed. Very affordable if you want to replicate this or make your own kid station.

Next I added a little crocheted lace cafe curtain on a tension rod {both of which I already had} to hide the bright clutter of the books. It's a little too short which has ended up being a good thing because it reminds them there are books under there.


Lastly I added some buckets for toy storage, a vintage chalkboard and little old enamel colander for toy odds-and-ends and a vintage enamel french coffeepot just to tie it in with the rest of the room. Done and done.



So what do you think?

22 comments:

Katie said...

Its really cute! I love the vintage chalk board (I'm looking for one all over!) and the coffee table! It's very sweet. Great job!

Kasey said...

what great ideas there my friend.
xoxo
{pics are awesome.}

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love the coffee table - my kids would spend forever there. They always like to be by me, wherever I am.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Adorable idea!

Nora said...

I love that chalk board! Great ideas :)

Nessa said...

I think youre a genius and its adorable! =)

Maisy said...

love it...love it...love it!!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I'm sure your children love that they have their own special place.

Sheryl

Sarah said...

Very cute!!!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

I think it's adorable!
~Michelle

Free Art Printables said...

I love it! I think it looks fabulous! Jen

Cottage Lifestyle said...

Adorable!

Chris Kauffman said...

I think it is super lovely .

Wendy said...

Looks great! I always love good ideas for hiding kid clutter!

Laura said...

That's the most beautiful hide-the-kid clutter job I've ever seen!

Hill Country House Girl said...

It's a lifetime job! Hiding kid clutter is now hiding teenage clutter for me! Great job!! I have finally figured out how to make my blog show updates on your sidebar - would you mind changing it? The link you enter is http://feeds2.feedburner.com/hillcountryhouseblogspot

Will you give it a try? Thanks so much! Ann

Jeanne Oliver said...

Love the table and the chalkboard is so dang cute!!!! You are one creative mommy!

Meg said...

I absolutely love it! What an adorable idea, indeed. I can't wait to have some kiddos so that I can start thinking about projects like these :) Hope you are doing well!

Meg

Ali @ Betty and Violet said...

I think this is such a lovely idea! The table is inspired!

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

What do I think??? Are you kidding, it looks amazing..good for you so many people think kids mean you can't decorate,which is so not true,,,love it!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! i love this

seeing as I spend a huge amount of time painting my cottage white I anyway you have inspired me to tackle a horrid storage nightmare in my sons room...great post

oh and nice blog, just surfed on in

Sarah
ABeachCottage

Karen said...

I just love your kids corner! Very welcoming and homey! Karen