Thursday, October 2, 2008

A new collection

Guess what?



That's what! This was a $10 find at Marshalls over a year ago. I use it for important phone numbers, a short grocery list, reminders, and to declare my love of chalkboards.



This was a hideous 1960's repro of a classic impressionist painting. I liked the frame, so I kept it and spray painted chalk board paint right over that awful painting. Wha-la. Instant cute chalkboard. We use this one to teach my daughter to write her ABC's. She sits at her little antique desk right below and practices the "letter of the day". Cost: free.



I took this vintage silverplate tray, painted chalkboard paint over it, and hung it by a ribbon I wrapped around it's cute little feet. Now it's in the kitchen with a daily word or phrase on it. Cost $2 plus paint plus ribbon ($1 bin at Michael's)


Last but not least, my girls like to copy Mommy and doodle on chalkboards but alas, none were low enough for them to reach! Nothing a large $4 chalkboard complete with sawtooth hangers from the Salvation Army can't fix. Now it hangs outside on the back patio just high enough for little hands to reach. Problem solved.

Do you have a collection of chalkboards? Have you repurposed an item to make a chalkboard? I would love to hear about it.

7 comments:

Lettered Cottage said...

I don't have a chalkboard right now.
But you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going to make one in the very near future! :-)

Thanks for the inspiration!
Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Cindy said...

Thanks for your comment you just left. I was laughing out loud. That's what I tell my daughter every time I see another blogger in a magazine! "I know her"!!!

Wendy said...

Oh goodness...I.Love.Chalkboards. I have a gazillion. We have a very awkward little coat closet door right next to our back door. I painted it with chalkboard paint and now its my favorite door in the house. I love your idea of painting an old silver tray, I might have to try that one! Nice JOB!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I've never painted with chalkboard paint. It looks lovely, and I might try it.

Junk Mammas said...

I also am loving chalkboards. But been having some trouble with paint. Can you tell me what brand you use and where you get it?
Thanks

Kari said...

Junk Mammas - I have used the chalkboard spray paint from Krylon and the regular paint-on kind from Rustoleum both with decent results. I got both of them at Home Depot. Hope this helps!

-Kari

Elise said...

Kari,
I love me some chalkboards too!! I love your blog also.
Anyway, you can see a chalkboard I made from a framed mirror on one of my later Sept./early Oct. posts on my blog.
Elise